Understanding JSON Schema
JSON Schema is a powerful tool for validating the structure of JSON
data. However, learning to use it by reading its specification is
like learning to drive a car by looking at its blueprints. You don’t
need to know how an internal combustion engine fits together if all
you want to do is pick up the groceries. This book, therefore, aims
to be the friendly driving instructor for JSON Schema. It’s for those
that want to write it and understand it, but maybe aren’t interested
in building their own car—er, writing their own JSON Schema
This book describes JSON Schema draft 4. Earlier versions of JSON
Schema are not completely compatible with the format described
Where to begin?
- This book uses some novel conventions for showing
schema examples and relating JSON Schema to your programming
language of choice.
- If you’re not sure what a schema is, check out What is a schema?.
- The basics chapter should be enough to get you started with
understanding the core JSON Schema Reference.
- When you start developing large schemas with many nested and
repeated sections, check out Structuring a complex schema.
- json-schema.org has a number of
resources, including the official specification and tools for
working with JSON Schema from various programming languages.
- jsonschema.net is an online application
run your own JSON schemas against example documents. If you want to
try things out without installing any software, it’s a very handy
There is also a print version of this document.